Ms Havisham, the lost cause of the twenty first century

Ms Havisham has neither wedding dress to wear nor cake to watch rot before her eyes. Instead, she has a scruffy stuffed toy and Facebook pictures she can't bring herself to delete. Jilted and unemployed, Ms Havisham faces the challenges of her Dickensian predecessor in the twenty first century from a black pit of heartbreak. The challenge: how is she going to get out of it?

Sunday 12 December 2010

For Better Or For Nothing

I knew what it was to feel warm for a while. By no means was I impervious to the cold but the knowledge that there would always be someone to warm my feet at night was more than enough to sustain me through any chill that came my way.

Always... such a treacherous word and a cruel illusion. What has become of it today? No life-long institution remains at present. People used to say "for better or for worse". Now, the latter two words of that phrase seem to be obselete for it it has become "for better or for someone (or at least) something else". 

While the recession deprives us of job security, marriage no longer provides comfort in its steadfast endurance. One can trust nothing and no one it seems. And so we learn that words, be they written or spoken, hold no true value. 

He told not only myself but his family of his ardent love for me. Together, we dreamt to the end of the world and back. But in the end, today I remain here, standing (almost), bereft of the dreams he stole away from me as I blinked, ignorant now of how to form new ones in order to begin again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment