Ms Havisham, the lost cause of the twenty first century

Ms Havisham has neither wedding dress to wear nor cake to watch rot before her eyes. Instead, she has a scruffy stuffed toy and Facebook pictures she can't bring herself to delete. Jilted and unemployed, Ms Havisham faces the challenges of her Dickensian predecessor in the twenty first century from a black pit of heartbreak. The challenge: how is she going to get out of it?

Wednesday 22 December 2010

Watching The Ball Drop...

We talk, we joke, we laugh, we flirt...

"Jeez, Lol, you are so annoying!", I say amongst a fit of giggles as I throw my stress ball at him. 

As I watch it propelled in front of me, I freeze in sudden confusion then grief as I watch it drop with the realisation that he is not Lol and that my happiness was short-lived.

Emptiness drained by excitement fills me to the brim. 
Sadness banished by smiles returns unabashed. 
Loneliness driven away by lust reclaims its rightful territory. 

Night falls on the light in my eyes as the man in front of me transforms from comfortingly familiar into the stranger he really is for in their eagerness to feel and forget, my heart and mind had been all too willing to be deceived, if only by the longing that lies within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment