Ms Havisham, the lost cause of the twenty first century

Ms Havisham has neither wedding dress to wear nor cake to watch rot before her eyes. Instead, she has a scruffy stuffed toy and Facebook pictures she can't bring herself to delete. Jilted and unemployed, Ms Havisham faces the challenges of her Dickensian predecessor in the twenty first century from a black pit of heartbreak. The challenge: how is she going to get out of it?

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Lost In Translation

People never want to accept realities. I think we can all agree I certainly don’t. Most of my acquaintances are aware of my unemployed status but few of my recent singledom. When they ask me how Lol is, I will truthfully answer that he is very busy with work at the moment. This is not the information they were originally seeking but I consider it entirely their own fault that they don’t ask more pointed questions. But if someone asks me directly how my relationship is, I won’t lie. Call me crazy, but I think the knife gets twisted into the wound often enough that I can spare myself the unnecessary jabs. So I deflect this reality amongst others.

For example, today I ate a truck load of dates and convinced myself that they were fruit and therefore were healthy as opposed to being sugar filled evilness declaring war on my thighs. The same goes for potatoes that are classified as vegetables …in theory. There is also a small part of me that wishes that when I didn’t enjoy my food, the calories wouldn’t count so I could go and rectify the situation with something much tastier.

Some women are convinced that dying their hair blonde in spite of their grey roots and black eyebrows and wearing hot pink sparkly tops makes it acceptable to discard a decade or two from their age. The giveaway is always the shoes: no longer able to teeter in five inch heels, they make do with five inch platforms. Now platforms may have been the new black, dahhhhling…but only back in the eighties, unfortunately for those tacky muttons out there.

Others publicise the fact that they go to the gym five times a week. They are not lying. Due to their frequent trips to the steam room, they have excellent complexions although strangely, it does nothing for their cellulite. The omission of certain facts means the truth gets lost in translation, though never unfortunately, for he whom omits in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment