Ms Havisham, the lost cause of the twenty first century

Ms Havisham has neither wedding dress to wear nor cake to watch rot before her eyes. Instead, she has a scruffy stuffed toy and Facebook pictures she can't bring herself to delete. Jilted and unemployed, Ms Havisham faces the challenges of her Dickensian predecessor in the twenty first century from a black pit of heartbreak. The challenge: how is she going to get out of it?

Wednesday 10 November 2010

The Challenge

My name is Ms Havisham.

Jilted and unemployed, I am the lost cause of the twenty first century. But, it is more than that: I am heart broken. I despair of ever being fixed and consequentially, my family and friends are starting to despair of me.

The love of my life, my promise of a "Hollywood Ending" did more than desert me. I can see The Cynics shaking their heads but the concept of The One is new to me. I am a far cry from the Charlotte who seeks quality marriage material in every synthetic suit she meets. This was different, not only was I taken in but I got key approval stamps all around. But overnight, he morphed from the man who convinced the world and his wife he was Prince Charming into a toad who was more than a far cry from the kind little frog in Shrek II. No warning signs and definately no explanations. Not even an end really, as I found out it was over through a poor innocent third party who rightfully assumed his 'nice guy' buddy had done the right thing and announced our break up to me before spreading the news. And so overnight, I went from having fallen head over heels in love to completely falling apart.

I have now been wallowing in a black pit for almost a month. The fact that my eyes and nose have stopped running on a permanent basis may fool the masses into thinking I am on the road to recovery but anyone who knows this deep well of awfulness is aware that the reduction of my industrial consommation of Kleenex is meaningless.

The problem with black pits is that with no one sitting by your side holding a fresh box of tissues, it gets not only lonely but actually quite boring. Luckily, I seem to be well supplied with wireless down here. And so, with the power of technology in my hands and using myself as a human guinea pig, I am challenging myself to figure out:

How the hell am I going to get out of here?

No comments:

Post a Comment